24 August 2006

¡Bigoté Ridículo! (Ridiculous Mustache!)

¡Buenos Tardes Familia y Amigos!

Sorry for not updating in quite some time, despite what you may have heard about the slow lifestyle in third world countries, I´ve been extremely busy! Training is suppose to be preparing us for life in our sites, but I think we (the trainees) are all going to have some initial culture shock when we arrive at our sites and find out that it´s not nearly as busy as training.

I´ve been learning bastante (lots)! How to build latrines, wood efficient stoves, chicken coops, etc. How to write grants, and manage life as a gringo volunteer. How to farm; organic methods, soil conservation, livestock management, etc. And TONS of español!

My friend Erin sent me a letter in which she asked me to give her a few details about what makes Honduras Honduras, and I had such a good time making a list of details I thought I would share a few with everyone...
- Hondurans use warm milk for cereal in the morning. My family thought I was crazy when I requested to pour cold milk over a bowl of dry cereal.
- You don´t throw the TP in the toilet bowl (if there is a toilet bowl!) you put it in the small waste basket next to the toilet.
- All the dogs have genetalia, and needless to say there is a plethora of canines in the streets.
- Sugar comes in coffee ...always. Kinda like in the south with our tea.
- There´s no Kroger or Publix. There´s a market where you buy meat, veggies, and fruit. And for everything else, you ask around to find out who sells what out of their home. There´s also lots of "Pulperias" which are small little shops run out of the front of peoples houses that sell soda, chips, sugar, cookies, bread, soap, coffee, etc.
- Diswashers - ha!
- People throw trash down on the street always, it´s just what they do.
- When it rains, sleep is delicious! You can hear it on the tile roof, and it puts you to sleep like sirens (the kind from ocean, not the police kind).
- You can buy 1/2 liter bags of water from the Pulperia, a perfect post-futbol refreshment.
- Honduran Hospitality puts "Southern Hospitality" to shame. It's extremely difficult to visit a house and not wind up spending 30-40 minutes talking, sipping coffee, and eating a small cookie or something. Every home that I have visited has been extremely warm and welcoming. Hondurans certainly understand that relationships take time, and they max out every opportunity, it's great.

There´s a few details for you guys. Hope that gives you a little glimpse of what Honduras is like. I think it´s important to record my initial observations before it all becomes normal for me. And as always, you´re all invited to come and taste Honduras for yourself!

Okay, what´s next... I head back to Santa Lucia (I´m in Catacamas right now for Field Based Training) on Friday. I officially find out where my site will be for the next two years on Tuesday, meet my counterpart (a member of the community that I will be living in) on Wednesday, then travel to my site to visit from Thursday - Sunday. After Sunday I again return to Santa Lucia for one more week of language/technical training, and I swear in as an "official" volunteer next Thursday, September 8th! The next day, Friday, I pack up and head out to my site for the next to years of my life! So I´m two weeks away, and getting am certainly anxious/excited/nervous!

Thanks again for all your emails, letters, and comments guys, it´s really encouraging! I miss you all very much, and think daily about what you all could be doing. ¡Hasta luego!

Adios,
David

P.S. Laura, no goats blood yet, but I have had cow tongue (with the tastebuds still very apparent), and a soup that includes cow intestines. The soup is called Sopa de Mondongo, and it´s deliciuous! Don´t worry, there is a three day process that goes into cleaning the cow intestine, and it also has tons of veggies to compliment.

P.P.S. I wrote this message very fast, please excuse any typos/spelling errors!

P.P.P.S. I just realized I didn´t explain the crazy title of my post. Voy a escribir mas tarde.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your learing how to build stuff sounds like I would injoy that part. Besides the TONS of español it still sounds to me like a two year real camping trip with some luxuries.Haha Sounds like your working hard but still having alot of fun.
P.S. you never mentioned how you get around from place to place walking,bicicleta,helicopter "GO PEACE COR"

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha you used the word "Plethora". I learned that word from watching the classic movie The Three Amigos!

Jefe: We have many beautiful pinatas for your birthday celebration, each one filled with little surprises!
El Guapo: How many pinatas?
Jefe: Many pinatas, many!
El Guapo: Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?
Jefe: A what?
El Guapo: A *plethora*.
Jefe: Oh yes, El Guapo. You have a plethora.
El Guapo: Jefe, what is a plethora?
Jefe: Why, El Guapo?
El Guapo: Well, you just told me that I had a plethora, and I would just like to know if you know what it means to have a plethora. I would not like to think that someone would tell someone else he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.
Jefe: El Guapo, I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education, but could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me?

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only imagine the "ridiculous mustache"....but sweet David, on you, I'm certain it looks ravishing! Enjoyed reading about your latest adventures as you finish up your training. I just know there will be yet another culture shock as you move into your "own" area. My thoughts and high hopes are with you, child.

The reason, David, you have not been exposed to the goat's milk/blood mixture is that they feel you can still escape. Once you are placed in your permanent spot, and have bonded with the area folks, they will spring this milk/blood soup on you, knowing that escape is impossible. Yet, if you handled the tongue/intestine dish, I really think the blood/milk thing will be a piece of cake. Oh....sorry.... is there cake in Honduras?

All kidding aside, growing up in South Carolina, a neighboring little town, Sally, S.C., had (and still does, I think) an annual festival called the "Chitlin' Strut." Yep, intestines. You could smell the festival for miles and for weeks afterwards. Again, I'm reminded that we are ALL alike beneath the surface, and the world is filled with good and kind folks who, at times, eat strange things.

Please give my regards to the people there you become close to. Let them know that you are a conduit to others here who think about them and care about their lives....and hope that they will return the caring thoughts.

And, although I know you are busy, DO take the time to add another installation to your blog. It's simply wonderful.

(One more thing.......ASO rehearsal starts in 2 weeks. The cello section will collectively think of you that night,....I promise!)

Laura

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the "what makes honduras honduras" list! hoping someday i'll get to see it in its entirety? can't wait to hear about your site!

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a comment, but a question, please! Is the "legend" of Chupicabra known in Honduras? What's the local lore? Normally, I wouldn't even know what this is, but, as always, there's a story............

May the same moon which puts me to sleep here, do the same for you there.........

Laura

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you stand one more comment from me? We had our first ASO rehearsal of the season tonight, and although you were not there, your cello case was. Everybody sends good wishes and is looking for an update, now that you have your permanent assignment.
Night, night,
Laura

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY!!!! It's Tiffany - I have just been reading your page now that I am back in the country. Sounds like everything is great!

Went to ASO tonight - people enjoyed seeing your cello case there.

I am off to bed! Enjoy everything, and cherish it while you can.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fo' shizzle. I've always wanted to say that. Haha so I guess no ski trip this year huh. Thats a bummer I was looking foward to some of that clean crisp mountain air, blinding blizzard conditions, and turkey sandwiches. Can life get better I submit that it cannot. Haha talk to you layter man peace.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home