02 December 2006

Visitors from Belize, and Cello Por Fin!




Hey Friends and Family!

Happy late Thanksgiving! I hope everyone enjoyed the plethora of turkey and other goodies. Mom I miss your mashed potatoes! And Daniel, I shall return for head-hunter ping pong, keep practicing and don´t loose your edge.

Big news, I’ve got a cello!!! I was in San Pedro Sula on my way to pick up Mindy and Jaime in Puerto Cortes when I found myself with a little extra time to check out the big instrument shop in town. They had three cellos to choose from and I went with the slightly more expensive one because it played so much better. It was only a thousand Lempiras more, which is like 50 bucks. Anyway the cello is, I think better sounding and has a better feel than my cello in back in the States. I payed ~$1500 for the German cello back in the states, and I got this Chinese cello a week ago here in Honduras for 8,500 Lempiras ($450!). It came with a bow and hard case with hygrometer! What a deal! And it feels oh so good to be able to play again. I am extremely excited about sharing my cello playing with my friends here in Santa Elena.

About a month ago I started spreading the gospel that is classical music to my friend Isaías. I made him a CD of classical music. We were in a different city celebrating “Fiesta de Cosechas,” (“Harvest Celebration”), and everytime we got back to the room where we were sleeping/staying he immediately put the CD in and listened. It’s neat to see someone who has never heard much classical music want to hear it again and again. When I visited his house the other day after a hike his wife had the CD playing as well. Classical music, it’ll get you like that, isn’t it great? I haven’t played my new cello for Isaías yet, but I’m sure he’ll get a kick out of it.

Mindy and her friend/roommate Jaime came and visited me last week, and it was so great to be able to show them my lovely community first hand. Mindy and Jaime have been taking weekend adventures during their school year teaching in Belize. They finished the school year last week and made their final adventure to see little ol’ me in Honduras. It was a quick stay, but not quick enough to not get them tired of eggs, rice, and tortillas. Toni came over the first night and we cooked a Honduran meal for our visitors (pictured). Then Rain came over and spent the second and third night with us. We visited various friends, played cards with my homestay sisters, had coffee at Don Andrés’ house (also pictured). We took a trip to the national park, saw the big waterfall, and spent the night in the cabanas there. It was interesting to hear all about their time in Belize and how it compares to life here in Honduras. Lots of similarities and lots of differences. Mindy and Jaime seemed really blown away by San Pedro Sula and all its american-ness (Pizza Hut, escalators in the bus station, four laned highway, etc.). Apparently, in the capital of Belize, where they were living, they had one stoplight, and the grocery store with sliding glass doors was a big deal. So yeah, we had a really good time. They are already missed though! Mindy, start planning your next (longer) visit soon!

When Mindy and Jaime asked me what it was exactly that I do in Santa Elena I told them that Santa Elena is already doing things, I just go along for the ride. And it’s the truth. Since they’ve left I’ve spent the past few days helping the womens group in town construct a building for a community bakery. There is also currently talk with the local pineapple farmers who want to start a jelly factory. Making jelly out of their pineapple is a great way to increase the value of their crop and ultimately put more money in their pockets. I am currently trying to connect them with a friend in a nearby community who has a jelly factory up and running because we need to see what it is exactly that we need to make the factory a reality in Santa Elena. They already have a building, pots, stoves, and running water. What we need to figure out; a recipe for mass jelly production, how we go about distributing the product, and where to buy jars/labels/lids. So hopefully we’ll be able to organize a little field trip to see the factory that is already up and running to get a few practical ideas for ourselves. And my community is already doing this stuff! I just go along with ‘em, and provide a phone number here, a helping hand there, it’s great.

Okay, I’m getting tired. Time to save this to the thumbdrive and it’ll eventually make it to the internet café and eventually to your monitor. More later…

Hasta luego,
David

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great gobs of juicy detail! ... And just in case I don't get back in time ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Love,
Dad

9:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pineapple jelly! Sounds good! How about pineapple marmalade?

Also, great news about the cello! Do you have a CD player? Do let me know, as some great cello sheet music comes with the orchestral part recorded on CD to play in the background.

We have our ASO Christmas concerts this weekend.....will think of you as we play!
Laura

2:12 AM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Everytime you say "Santa Elena," I think of good ol' Costa Rica!!! Santa Elena and Monteverde and all that. :)

Glad it is all going well!!! Good news about the cello!!! Our Christmas concert is this weekend!!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can never get enough of your blogs, they just make my day to hear your adventures. Happy Birthday!!! I hope you had a wonderful day!!!

kate

10:58 AM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Hey, here is an article about Hannukah in Honduras:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/12/08/honduras.hanukkah.ap/index.html

Also, we had our Christmas concert this weekend with the symphony, and it went really well!

Hope it is a beautiful time there!

Tiffany

11:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Watch your mail! Surprise from the North Pole is on its way!
Laura

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey David,

Jaime and I had a great time in Honduras. Thanks for being such a great host! Tell Rain I said Hi! Does she have a blog too?

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home